July 8, 2015

Roman Osteology Database - Two Cemeteries from Imperial Rome

The last time I posted news of opening up my database from my PhD dissertation, I felt the need to redact portions of it, as articles were in prep.  But now that they're all submitted (and hopefully going to press soon), I've posted the entire database on FigShare.

Why FigShare?  I had heard about it but never explored it, and had originally put my data at GitHub.  But GitHub is not great for this (although the data are still there), particularly since you can't visualize .mdb files in it, and it was cumbersome to download.  Plus, I wanted a citeable database.  Enter FigShare, which assigns a DOI to whatever you put in your project folder.  Now you can download, use, and cite my data easily.


As noted in the blurb under "Description" there are unpublished data in here.  Notably, there are dental pathologies like caries and wear.  These would make a great project for an MA student or eager BA student, and it would be particularly useful to correlate those with the C/N isotope data that I published (that are also in the database).

I have loads of photographs and a limited amount of additional information that I couldn't make public (e.g., contextual information I got about the sites, which I didn't excavate myself), so do let me know of any needs while I figure out if there is a good way to deposit that info somewhere.

Basically, there is still work that can come out of analyzing these data, but I don't feel right about keeping the database under wraps any longer, particularly since it was funded in large part by an NSF-DDRIG with a requirement to share data.  So here it is!  And if you want to co-author something using these data, just let me know and I'll be happy to help!

0 comments:

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More

 
Design by Free WordPress Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha