Here's why I agree to edit novellas... for the laughter. This one is a largely autobiographical story, it seems, about how this guy grew up during the Depression and joined the Navy. Today's choice bits:
- After a while, sleep came, and so did revelry, at 5:45 am, with the sound of a bugle.
- The daily audio wakeup call was, "Grab your socks, let go of your cocks."
- I had been corresponding with Vinnie by mail, but it was kind of sterile, and I couldn't wait to see him in a more touchy and feely sense.
- Every day included lectures on Navel lore.
- "What the fuck do you think me and the rest of the class are doing? We don't have weegie boards to consult."